Meeting minutes January 2014

Attendees

Victor, Jason, James, Joel, Jonathan, Justin, Mike, Travis

Millican Reserve

Club members have cut five miles of trail at the Millican Reserve this Christmas. More trails have been tagged. This site is only open to BVMBA members and the High School Race Team at the moment. Methods for identifying club members, their cars and their bikes were discussed. All people riding or cutting trails must have filled out a waiver form. Club members must also stick to the designated areas of the property.

Trail maintenance

Trail maintenance will take place at Lake Bryan on Saturday 11th January starting at 9am rather than 8am. We will work on clearing a time trial loop on the East Loop.

2013 Finances

A report on the club finances was presented.

Winter Time Trial

We will start these on Thursday 17th January at Lake Bryan. The course is to be determined but they will start at 6.30 pm.

Lajitas

Several club members will be travelling to the Lajitas Desert Festival on 13th to 15th February. More details to follow.

Dirty Dozen

Several teams and solo riders will represent BVMBA at the Dirty Dozen 12 hour race on Saturday 1st February. A day trip to Bluff Creek Ranch, Warda will be planned for the Saturday before the race.

December 2013 meeting minutes

Attendees- Cade, John, Justin, John, Jonathan, James, Mike, Travis, Victor, Rob, Ross (New)

Trail maintenance- John and Cade rode yesterday and the trails were still wet in places. They should be okay to ride tomorrow. The plan for trail maintenance is to do general clearing and lopping of the East Loop.

Millican Reserve- A group of club members met with representative from the Millican Reserve recently. They have mapped out an area on which we can build trails. James has done a rough draft of a few sections of trail on Google Earth. The club will start tagging trails before Christmas.

Races- Several club members raced the RPR 100 km at Reveille Peak Ranch two weekends ago. We had a great time despite the very cold conditions. Jacob and Mike finished 7th in their category, John and Cadefinished an impressive, 3rd, and Jonathan finished 8th.

High School MTB Team- The team now has 18 riders! Their first race is 8th Feb.

Summer time trial awards- We had a very enjoyable series, thanks for timing James! Congratulation to the following riders:

Fastest Lap- Mike

Fastest Junior Lap

3rd overall- Jason

2ns overall- Mike

Overall series winner- JP

Winter TT- The plan is to start the series before Christmas and race the first half of the East loop without Octopus.

Social ride- The trails should be dry enough for a ride this week. We will meet on Tuesday at 6.30 pm

Officer elections- There were no opposing nominations so for 2014: President- Victor, Vice-president- Travis, Secretary/Treasurer- Jonathan

Trips- James went camping at Tyler SP with his brother and his family and had a great time on the trials there.

Christmas ride- There was an interest in organizing a Christmas ride this year.

Meeting Minutes October 2013

Attendees

Victor, Justin, Gabriel, Travis, Mike, Jason, Jonathan, Katie, Jeff, John, Cade, Graeme

BTU Levee Work

BTU has started to work on the East Loop levee and have leveled the switchbacks and several other sections of trail. There are also several new gates across the top of the levee. The officers are trying to arrange a meeting with BTU to discuss the changes to the trail system. The trails on the East Side of the lake will need some major rerouting this year. Plans for this have been made and trails are being cut.

Trail Maintenance

We will meet at 8am on Saturday the 12th The main priority is to reroute the section of the trail coming to bypass the switchbacks. James has already cut several sections of trail and it may be possible to finish the new sections this weekend. There are also several areas where deadfall needs to be cleared; these include New Cut, the West Loop before Little Warda, Munnerlyn Loop, and the Octopus.

Racing

Victor and Nick came 2nd and 3rd place, respectively in the National Triathlon Championships. Both have been selected for the World Triathlon Championships next year!!

Officer Nominations

Officer nominations will be discussed at next month’s meeting.

Camping Trips

The will be a club camping trip to Cedar Hills SP, near DFW SP between 1st and 3rd November.

Trips

JP, Travis, Mike, Jason, Jonathan all went to Dana Peak SP recently for a day trip and had a great time.

Racing

Victor will be racing the 24 hours of Rocky Hill Ranch solo in 2 weeks time. Travis and Justin expressed interest in racing in teams.

High School MTB Team Leaders Summit

Several club members will attend the summit next weekend. The TAMU Consolidated High School Team is expanding every year.

Social Rides

Social rides start at 6.00 pm at the moment, when the clocks go back the time will be pushed back to 6.30 pm.

Summer TT awards

We will present the summer TT awards at the meeting next month.

Yahoo Group

Several members expressed concern that the Yahoo list serve resulted in delays receiving emails and difficulties for new members getting enrolled. At the meeting next month there will be a vote on whether or not to switch to a Google group.

Meeting Minutes 2nd September, 2013

Attendees

Graeme (New), James, Jonathan, Justin, Patrick, Kim, Ali, Gina, Travis

Trail Maintenance

The club will meet for TM this Saturday (7th September) at 8am by the boat ramp at Lake Bryan. There is a lot of deadfall that needs to be removed. Areas that especially need attention include Loop-de-Loop, The Octopus, and Little Warda. There is flooding in the middle section of the Bow Tie swamp crossing on the West Loop. This may need anther section of bridge. Also, the log crossings on the Octopus trail both need attention.

Map of West Loop

Justin has gathered GPS data form the West Loop and the Octopus and Mike is adding this to the existing trail maps.

Officer Elections

Nominations for 2014 BVMBA officer positions (President, Vice President, and Secretary/Treasurer) are due in October and voting in will take place in November.

Stubborn Wrench

Ali and Kim have set up a business as mobile bike mechanics. They will be able to assist people with repairs at Lake Bryan and go to trails or collect the bike that needs repairing directly from the customer, make the repairs, and then drop it back. Their website is STUBBORNWRENCH.COM.

Tuesday Group Rides

Tuesday group rides will be moved to 6pm so that we have enough daylight.

Millican Reserve

The club has kindly been given access to the existing horse trails on Millican Reserve on Wednesdays. Liability waivers must be signed and handed in before Club Members can ride these trails. We plan to have group rides at 6 pm on Wednesday evenings starting next week.

Summer Time Trial Series

The summer TT series concluded last week. Thanks to James for timing the whole series! We look forward to seeing him back on his bike for the Winter TT series. Also, thanks to Aggieland Cycles for sponsoring the series!

Trips

The possibility of organizing a club camping trip in October was discussed. Possible destinations included Camp Eagle, Reveille Peak Ranch, or trails around the DFW area.

Meeting Minutes August 2014

Attendees

Gina, Chris, Kerry, Jonathan, Jason, Collin, Dana, Patrick, Mike, James, Brad, Pauline

Trail maintenance

Trail maintenance will be held on Saturday 10th August starting at 8am. We plan to work on the West Loop, specifically the Bowtie area, Junk Yard, and the Jungle. There is a lot of mowing, lopping, and removal of deadfall that needs to be done.

Patrick will look into using people doing community service hours to help at future trail maintenance sessions.

Races

Several club members of racing at Blazing Saddles the 6-hour race being held at Bluff Creek Ranch on August 17th.

Millican Reserve

The management at Millican Reserve has kindly offered to make their horse trails available to us on specified days of the week. Patrick will ask them if it is possible to ride on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. They are also working on defining and mapping out the areas that we can use for building permanent trails

Trips

A trip to Cameron Park in Waco has tentatively been scheduled to Sunday 1st September. We aim to be at Cameron Park by 8.30 am.

Updated West Loop map

Justin is working on making a GPS map of the West Loop and overlaying this on the existing trail plans.

July Meeting Minutes

Attendees

Justin, Travis, Jason, Jonathan, Gabriel, Gerald, Tommy, James (back from Colarado after his wreck), Mike, JP, Victor

Trips

JP, Victor, Travis, Jonathan, and Jason went to Rocky Hill Ranch and this weekend. It was Jason and Jonathan’s first time riding these trails. We were lucky with the weather and it was not too hot. The group had a great time.

The club has an upcoming day trip to Cameron Park in Waco on Saturday 13th July. More details will follow.

A weekend camping trip to Reveille Peak Ranch is planned for the weekend of 20th July. More details will follow

Millican Reserve

The club has been invited to participate in the Melon Festival at Millican Reserve on the 4th of July. There will be a group ride on the 3rd starting at 6.30 pm.

Riders must have signed a waiver. On the 4th of July at 8:00 am club members will act as group leaders for members of the public doing discovery rides at the reserve. Volunteers are needed!

 

Trail maintenance

This Saturday we will meet for trail maintenance at 8.00 am. The areas that we need to work on this month include:

A fallen tree in Munnerlyn Loop, this may need a chain saw to be removed

General trimming on both sides if the Lake

Mowing of West Loop after half-pipe

Collection of cedar posts for the new signs

A map of the West Loop map is still needed by BTU.

Time trial

There will be no TT on the 4th of July. The TT will resume on Thursday 11th July at 6:30pm and will be a complete lap of the West Loop. Members are encouraged to use Strava for the TT to generate interest from other cyclists.

June 2013 Meeting Minutes

Attendees

James, Colin, Dana, Thomas (New), Justin, Patrick, Jonathan, Travis, Jason, Greg, Mike, Aaron, John F, Aaron (New)

Trail maintenance

James reports that the West Side is officially open but still needs some finishing off mainly removing stumps. The new trails need to be ridden in though. The East Loop needs work to remove some face slappers, mow long grass and a felled tree. We will work on the trails focusing on the East Loop on Saturday 8th June at 8am.

The new signs for the signs are ready to be put up and this will be done as time allows.

BTU has requested updated maps of the trail system and we will work on these.

T-shirts

We will be taking orders for BVMBA technical T-shirts. To order a T-shirt talk Jonathan, Patrick, or Justin. They will cost $25 each.

Website

The URL for our website is being moved by Justin as the account with the old host had expired this has taken a lot of time and effort.

Summer TT

The summer time trial will take place on the West Loop to ride in the trail if possible. The TTs will start on Thursday June 13th at 6.30pm.

Milican Reserve

We will arrange a group ride at Millican Reserve this or next week.

The guys at Millican Reserve have kindly invited BVMBA to their 4th of July party. We plan to do a family ride and a BBQ.

Trips

Justin, Travis, JP, Nick, and Collin had a great time riding at Rocky Hill Ranch over the Labor Day weekend. There is interest in day trip and camping trips in the coming weeks.

Meeting Minutes June 3rd, 2013

Attendees
James
Colin
Dana
Thomas (New)
Justin
Patrick
Jonathan
Travis
Jason
Greg
Mike
Aaron
John F
Aaron (New)

Trail maintenance
James reports that the West Side is officially open but still needs some finishing off mainly removing stumps. The new trails need to be ridden in though. The East Loop needs work to remove some face slappers, mow long grass and a felled tree. We will work on the trails focusing on the East Loop on Saturday 8th June at 8am.

The new signs for the signs are ready to be put up and this will be done as time allows.

BTU has requested updated maps of the trail system and we will work on these.

T-shirts
We will be taking orders for BVMBA technical T-shirts. To order a T-shirt talk Jonathan, Patrick, or Justin. They will cost $25 each.

Website
The URL for our website is being moved by Justin as the account with the old host had expired this has taken a lot of time and effort.

Summer TT
The summer time trial will take place on the West Loop to ride in the trail if possible. The TTs will start on Thursday June 13th at 6.30pm.

Milican Reserve
We will arrange a group ride at Millican Reserve this or next week.

The guys at Millican Reserve have kindly invited BVMBA to their 4th of July party. We plan to do a family ride and a BBQ.

Trips
Justin, Travis, JP, Nick, and Collin had a great time riding at Rocky Hill Ranch over the Labor Day weekend. There is interest in day trip and camping trips in the coming weeks.

May Meeting Minutes

Attendees

Boon F.

Jason

James M.

Justin F.

Mike R.

Dana

Colin

Jack and Chad (from The Millican Reserve)

Travis P.

Patrick F.

John F.

Gabriel

D’Angela

 

Millican Reserve

Chad and Jack from the Millican Reserve kindly joined us. The Millican Reserve is a non-profit organization building healthy community around nature. They will open up a 1500acres of land, south of College Station to groups within the local community for a variety of activities. BVMBA have been in contact with them regarding the possibility of building mountain bike trails on their site. The plan is for BVMBA to build the trails with their help. The trails will be open for BVMBA members to ride with purchase of a season ticket or day ticket.

 

The current situation is that Jack and Chad are waiting for their architects to identify the areas of land where we can cut trail. They invited us to come out and ride the existing horse trails on a day when there would be no horses. We will suggest a day and get back to them. Mike, James, and one other person will form a trail building committee who will mark the trails that the club will cut.

 

Stickers

Justin has recently ordered some BVMA stickers. These are available for purchase ($5) to help raise money for the club. To buy a sticker talk to Justin, Jonathan, or Patrick.

 

T-shirts

A planned design for BVMBA T-shirts was emailed out to the list-serve a week or so ago. There was some interest but not enough to get the planned order of 48. Because of the club’s limited finances at the moment members will be asked to prepay for their T-shirts. The New Balance technical T-shirts will be available at CC Creations on Holleman drive to try on for size.

 

Business cards

A motion for the club to print business cards was approved. These will be used to increase the community’s awareness of BVMBA. A motion for Patrick to pay for these cards and in return have his business details on the reverse side of the card was also approved.

 

Membership dues

A motion to increase membership dues to a flat rate of $30 for families and individuals was approved. This will be effective July 1st, 2013.

 

Camping Trip

The upcoming camping trip on Labor Day weekend to Muleshoe Bend recreation area and Pace Bend Park was discussed. John F. is kindly letting us camp at his house, which is very close to Muleshoe. If anyone is interested in attending this trip please email Justin F.

 

Winter TT awards

The results from the winter time-trial series are as follow:

 

1st place overall points                    Travis Prochaska

2nd Place overall points                   James Munnerlyn

3rd place overall points                   Kerry Snow-Alley

 

Fastest Intermediate Female           Kerry Snow-Alley

Fastest Beginner Male                      Jonathin

Fastest Intermediate Male               Joel Reyes

Fastest Advanced Male                     JP Rheault

 

Travis was presented with an awesome trophy, that James kindly made, and a $50 Aggieland Cycling voucher! Congratulations to everyone who took part and many thanks to James for organizing a really fun series as well to our time keepers. The trophy will be displayed in Aggieland Cycling at some times of the year to promote the club.

 

Summer Time-trial

The summer time trial will likely run the East Loop including the Octopus but them take the Teeter-Totter cutoff on the way back. The planned start date is June 13th. The plan is to divide the work more fairly and have multiple people time the series. More details to follow

 

Trail maintenance

We will meet for trail maintenance Saturday 11th May at 8am. The planned focus of this session will be the new trail we need to cut on the West Loop. There are still lots of areas that need to be de-stumped including the Octopus and this will be done as time permits. Due to limited finances the club will not rent a stump grinder at the moment.

 

Signs

The signs we ordered form CC Creations with Martha from TAMU Kinesiology are ready to be picked up. Some of these have to be cut into 2 pieces before they can be put up.

 

High School MTB League

Last weekend was the final race of the Texas High School MTB League season and TAMU-CHS won this race. Overall they came an impressive second place in the league. Several riders on the team have only very recently taken up the sport and already have posted some very impressive results and just as importantly are really enjoying mountain biking. So congratulations to all those involved and thanks to John, Mike, Kim, and Ali for acting as ride leaders!

 

Race/event in the fall

Having a race or event to raise money for the club in the fall was discussed. Several different formats including a fun ride, a shorter race or a 24-hour race were discussed. Concern was raised about the amount of effort than organizing a race would require. The format of the event will need to be further discussed to make sure it is not too ambitious.

 

Strava

Patrick has set up a BVMBA club group on Strava the cycling and running GPS tracking service (Strava.com). Club members are encouraged to post times for sections of our trail on Strava for some friendly competition and to raise awareness of the club among cyclists.

Meeting Minutes 1 April 2013

Attendees

Jonathan L., Justin, Gina, Mike, Travis, Jonathan (new), David, James, Ali

Agenda

  • The Big Event took place 2 weekends ago. We had 9 club members, 3 trail running students, and 12 Big Events students from the Texas Trophy Hunters work on rerouting the West Loop. A lot of new trail was cut but a lot remains to be done before the West Loop is open again.
  • Club members have been talking to developers from the Millican Reserve about the possibility of building a new trail system. Watch this space….
  • Recently JP, Travis, James, Kerry, and Chris went out to Cameron Park Waco to ride. They were guided by Waco locals Darwin and Randy and had a great ride.
  • The state of the club finances was discussed. The balance in the account has been declining at an unsustainable rate over recent years. A summary of the account balance and last year’s spending was given. Ways to reduce costs and get revenue were discussed. Options for increasing revenue that were considered included selling jerseys, or T-shirts and stickers. The cost of team jerseys was considered to be too high at $60-70 per unit. Justin will look into the cost of T-shirts and car stickers. The option of increasing membership dues to $30 for an individual and $30 to $45 for a family was also discussed. A vote on this issue will take place at next month’s meeting. Hosting a race at Lake Bryan in the fall was also considered.
  • Mike discussed the possibility of organizing a group course on CPR and first aid. More on details to follow.
  • This Saturday the 6th April we will have trail maintenance morning starting at 8am. We plan to work on moving sections of bridge to span some of the swamp crossing on the West Loop. This section is 40 yards long and eventually will need a much longer span of bridge to cover it. The West Loop is still closed for riding until it has been rerouted to avoid any sections on the slope of the levee.