To continue to support local trails in our area, BVMBA, has the responsibility of maintaining some of them. Failure to do so in a safe and responsible manner can result in loss of a trail resource. BVMBA may have some form of contract or Memorandum of Understand (MOU) with land managers where BVMBA maintains trails. An MOU can require BVMBA to carry liability insurance to cover maintenance of trails. On top of reporting maintenance progress to land management, insurance and MOUs require BVMBA to provide volunteers with some safety training during trail steward days, and participants to have completed indemnity and liability waivers before performing any trail maintenance. This information is provided by the trail crew leaders, and waivers are available onsite during trail steward days. For people to work outside of general trail maintenance days, we have trail steward waivers for individuals, and the same safety material is accessible for download.
Complete this form (electronically sign-able) for anyone who is doing trail maintenance outside of scheduled trail steward days. (minors should complete this waiver before participating in a general TM day if a parent or guardian will not be with them). Complete and e-mail to BVMBAinfo@gmail.com or hand deliver during a trail work day.
This handout is provided during scheduled trail steward days. It covers some general safety and personal protection devices for working on the trails. Tools and some methods of different work that may be done.
Trail Maintenance Status
Under the trail maintenance status we have a method of tracking when the trails were last Mowed, Trimmed, other odd jobs performed, and any work that may be needed. From this a TO-DO list is generated for each trail network. These pages will help identify where work is needed for individual trails.
Trail maintenance Opportunities
- BVMBA normally holds a monthly trail stewardship day on the first Saturday after the first Monday of the month, which follows our monthly general meeting.
- Other options are to work on your own or with a partner. Work can be found in the Trail Maintenance Status logs above, and on accusations announcements will be made on the club’s discussion list.
- Special opportunity – Both Millican Reserve and Lake Bryan Trails are presently closed to the public for use as a resulting from COVID-19. But you can still go out and do some work on the trails.
– Before you do so, you need to have an Individual Trail Steward Waiver on file with BVMBA.
– Report to our trail committee head that you will be going on Date, Time, number in party, vehicle make, model and license plate number. E-mail email@example.com.
Note: Best to put a note on you car saying you are “BVMBA Trail Work crew” with your contact, in case you wind up parking in a location that might get you in trouble or towed.
Trail Maintenance info